Here we go.

12 October 2011

October 2011 Top 10

1.  Lifted directly from a letter I wrote to Collin:
"I’ve been drinking on some root beer lately.  Virgil’s is my preferred brand of choice.  I learned today that they SELL IT IN LITTLE KEGS.  What.  Heavenly.  Anyway, I often get to thinkin’ how nice it would be to try brewing my own batch of root beer.  Taking it further, I think that I’d like to brew a FEMINIST root beer.  Well, why not?  I got on the internet and plugged “feminist root beer” in the search box and ‘lo and behold!  No results!  Could I be a first?  So, I shared my idea with Andrew and he did not flinch.  I think I’ll have to wait a couple of paychecks to start this project, but I am beyond excited.  I wonder if you can ship bottles in the mail.  OR, you could just come home and get some home brewed feminist root beer from your dear old friend..." 
Even if it was in jest, as soon as I let known my intentions, a person I know said he wanted to make the antithesis of feminist root beer.  I wanted to laugh to keep from cringing, but it really wasn't funny to me.  Reproductive freedom is still being threatened to this day, which is no laughing matter.  Sadly, in the U.S., feminism is not even on the back burner, it's off the stove.  Sort it out, people!  Sip on a refreshing brew whilst you ponder the importance of gender equality and how to make everyone, not just girls and women, smarter, safer, and healthier, the world over.

Regarding the root beer itself, I think I'll have to experiment with the ingredients.  I tried a root beer last night that had cinnamon in it, which was an unexpected, but lovely twist.  I wonder that if you use molasses, do you use less or more than regular sugar?  I know for certain I'll use Mountain Valley Spring Water to give it genuine Arkansas flavor.  Very much looking forward to this project.

2.  The Ettes.  I can't get enough of them and I have a massive crush on Poni, the drummer.


Their video for Excuse, directed by Tom Scharpling:


3.  Veganomicon <---I treated myself to the alleged best vegan cookbook ever.  With a great title like that, how can you go wrong?  Our goal is to actually cook from it.  As people who are try to go meatfree 95% of the time, we are also trying to cut back on the bread and cheese and focus more on grains and vegetables.  I think this is a great way to get to there.  Too, I used tarragon for the first time.

Photobucket

4.  Telegrams

Photobucket

5.  LR Cream.  I know how it looks.  So, the guitarist is my husband!  I can be sincere when it comes to his work.  LR Cream is the best band in Little Rock.

Photobucket




6.  True Blood.  Damnit, I haven't enjoyed watching such trashy television in a long while.

However...

7.  Road trip!  We're headed West soon.  Route 66, Cadillac Ranch, and sparsely situated gas stations.  Americana, for better or worse.

8.  Halloween --> My birthday --> Los Dias de los Muertos, a mystical four days strung together.  KMHD is really pushing for me to be Jack Burton for Halloween, which is a riotous idea.  I am seriously considering it.  Working out a loose plan to celebrate my 33rd birthday -- there will definitely be cake.  Thinking about calling over my friends, ordering take-out, and making Mexican sugar skulls, all while drinking wine.  Art party!


9.  I AM GOING TO VIET NAM IN MARCH 2012.  That is less than six months away!  The reality hasn't hit me yet.  I don't even know what to do first!


10.  Kyril Bonfiglioli.  John Mark sent me his books a few years ago.  I have to reread them every once in awhile.

2 comments:

nicole said...

There's KINDA too much awesomeness going on here, so I don't even know where to begin, but I'll try...

If you go the root beer route, can you also make a good cream soda? LR Cream Soda? With your husBAND on the label? (Cute!)

You can still send telegrams? This makes me happy.

True Blood. I got hooked on it over the summer. I've only seen this season - none of the previous ones - but OMG I would pick Bill over Eric in a heartbeat!

Happy early birthday!

VIET WHAT?! I need to know more about this trip!!!

xo.

AMD & KMHD said...

Nicole! That cream soda idea is hilarious and awesome!

You can still send telegrams. telegramstop.com <--go there

OK, imma hand over my microphone to my raging hormones right now... Eric!!!

Blog Archive